Friday, March 6, 2009

In the Pink

You may recall that I work for a branch office of a large international law firm, aka the Festering Pit of Despair. Well, it looks like layoffs have officially started in my branch of said Pit. I am so NOT prepared to face a pink slip right now. I realize nobody ever is, but I literally have let my finances skid out of control in the past 10 months...not the best timing. Do I want out of the FPoD? Yes? Do I want out like this? HELL NO! I've already cut my spending way back in preparation for the worst, but I need a several months to get things at least minimally under control. Not sure if I have it. The anxiety around the office has been growing over the past few weeks as every day brings news of another firm doing layoffs. Everyone I know, no matter what their industry, is going through the same. My department has already had some cuts in the hq office so I've been on pins and needles for a while...not much any of us can do about it though. Time to employ whatever coping mechanisms you've got. To that end, I just opened one of my new value wines. (quite tasty, btw)....here's to all those who've already been handed pink slips. I wish you all the best in getting through this mess. And to the rest of us still waiting...bottoms up, baby.

1 comment:

Kate, Dating in LA said...

This is all crazy. And the lack of information just makes it worse. I keep reading ATL every day, and people are finding out there that layoffs are coming rather than from their employers. Fun!